Friday, May 21, 2010

Losing sleep over the “Lost” finale


Let's face it, I'm going to stay up way too late Sunday night. After the “Lost” series finale ends at 11:30est/10:30cst, I’ll call my closest “Lostie” friends. Then I’ll hit the internet. After that I’m I’ll have to watch “Jimmy Kimmel Live” to see all of the alternate endings. I know I won’t be able to sleep because I’ll still be thinking about “Lost.”

If I’m lucky I’ll get to sleep by 1 a.m. Monday is going to be a long day.

Countless Americans will be no different. The Super Bowl aside, the enigmatic sci-fi/ drama is expected to draw the highest ratings of any program in years.
ABC knows this. The network is turning what was originally a 2 hour program into a 6-hour-long marathon spanning late into the night.

Without a doubt “Lost” will be one of those water cooler moments everyone’s talking about at workplaces everywhere the following morning. Only the employees won’t be standing near the water cooler, they’ll be gathered around the coffee pot. Remember programming wraps up at 1 a.m est.

I realize this post is a bit of a stretch, but Sunday's finale is a big deal. Over the course of its six season “Lost” has pretty much ignored the subject of sleep altogether.

With the help of Lostpedia, a few friends and my own memory as a casual fan here’s the few instances I could come up with:

-In the pilot the sounds of the smoke monster moving through the jungle kept everyone awake the first night on the island.
-A sleep deprived Jack saw his father’s ghost in the first season.
-Claire refused to sleep because she was afraid someone would take “the baby”
-Desmond lived and slept in the hatch for three years and 44 days with the help of artificial sunlight.

Does the Locke Monster/Smokey dream?


And there’s that worst-case scenario that’s oft-mentioned in pre-finale speculation. Was it all a dream? Wrapping up years of speculation with a lazy ending like this will cause a fan revolt.

How do you think Lost will end?

No comments:

Post a Comment